Adobe have released version 2 of the AIR cross platform runtime, that builds on the success of AIR 1 giving developers new capabilities, and even tighter integration with the desktop. Some new features of AIR 2 include:
- * Support for the detection of mass storage devices.
- * Advanced networking capabilities like secure sockets, UDP support, and the ability to listen on sockets.
- * Support for native code integration.
- * The ability to open a file with its default application.
- * Multi-touch and gesture support.
- * New APIs for access to raw microphone data.
- * Webkit update with HTML5/CSS3 support.
- * Global error handling.
- * Improved cross-platform printing
- * Improved security and support for enterprise and government standards.
Beta versions of Adobe AIR 2, including the AIR SDK and support for popular IDEs, are all available for immediate download from Adobe Labs.